Sunday, July 21, 2019

Ten Second Reviews

A Study in Scarlet Women

By Sherry Thomas


The tale of Sherlock Holmes, if Sherlock were actually a woman.  I don't know what list I was that I found this book on, but I really enjoyed it.  The author started as a historical romance writer, and her knowledge of the time period really shows.  The main character (although we do get viewpoints from various characters, I'll consider Charlotte the main one) has a lovely relationship with her sister(s) (one of them is disabled, so she doesn't appear much, but figures in Charlotte's plans along with Livia), and with the other supporting characters - Mrs. Watson, Lord whatshisname, the police sergeant.  Sometimes you just want to read about people who are nice to each other and respect each other, and this had that in spades.  The mystery was good, I suppose, although there was a lot of interrelatedness that I didn't quite follow - you'd think London was a village of two hundred the way everyone is involved with everyone else, and it wraps up almost abruptly when the crucial clue is given, but I've already ordered the next in the series.

A Conspiracy in Belgravia

By Sherry Thomas


The second in the "Lady Sherlock" series, I still enjoyed the writing and characters, but the plot made even less sense - so Sherlock's half-brother, Myron Finch, was an accountant who disappeared, but it turns out he worked for Moriarty and stole information and escaped, but wound up getting a job as the Holmes' carriage-man? Um, what, no one recognized him?  And Lady Ingram just pretended the whole love affair? And how long was this other guy pretending to be Myron? The critiques of the first one were magnified in this one, and the good qualities did not keep pace  - I came out of this feeling somewhat dissatisfied and unsure whether I'm going to continue.  Characters are good, relationships are good, writing is good, but plot is like, that gif of the blinking man.

No comments:

Post a Comment